Hardware museum: year 2000

Biggest laptop of the year with Linux (by Fujitsu Siemens)

Fujitsu Siemens LIFEBOOK E-6530 (21 devices on board) with openSUSE 13.1

HW: Intel Pentium III (Coppermine), 2 memory modules (2 x Module 128MB), one drive (TOSHIBA MK1016GAP 10GB) and more 21 devices.

Kernel: 3.12.72-1-desktop

PROBE ID

QuoteI have an old Lifebook E6540 with P3-600Mhz and 128MB SD-100Ram. I upgraded the HDD to one with 80GB and now I wanted to upgrade the Ram to 512MB. So I buyed 512MB SD-133 Ram and installed it, but the laptop isn't running anymore, the display keeps beeing black, the fans are running but nothing is happening. When I have both slots filled (the first one with 128 and the second one with 512MB) the laptop is starting but when the first screen is appearing (where you can get into the bios) it is showing "extending ram failed" or something like this, but there is shown "Ram Slot 1 - 128MB" and "Ram SLot 2 - 512MB" so the laptop is 'seeing' the second/new ram-bar.

QuoteThe online data sheet says it supports PC100, but I use PC133 in my Lifebook E6530 and have no problems. PC133 will just run at 100 MHz.

QuoteFor a bit of side information, the Linux distribution I use is Debris.

QuoteA 256 MB memory bar from Optosys (today Swissbit) is installed in my Lifebook E-6500: PC100-222-620 - 16Mx64x2.

Biggest desktop of the year with Linux (by Tekram Technology)

Tekram Technology P6B40-A4X-i440BX Rev (26 devices on board) with Gentoo 2.7

HW: Intel Pentium III (Katmai), memory module(s) 1GB, 2 drives (IBM DJSA-220 12GB, Seagate ST320413A 20GB) and more 26 devices.

Kernel: 5.10.61-gentoo-P6B40-A4X

PROBE ID

QuoteTekram P6B40-A4X, when trying to work with it at overclocked frequencies (already at 112 MHz), behaved unstably

QuoteTekram is only about entering the motherboard market after making a name with their SCSI adapters. The P6B40 single CPU BX motherboard is small but it still comes with 4 DIMM sockets, which I consider as remarkable.

Onboard features include all that it takes, like all the 'Wake Ups' as well as hardware monitoring.

QuoteOverclocking is possible but not quite that easy, since the FSB can only be choosen between either 66/68/75/83 or 100/103/112/133 MHz depending on the FSB clock the CPU is designed for, so that you need the 'B21 procedure' for getting to 100 MHz FSB or above when using a Celeron or a PII 233-333.

QuoteThe performance of the board was at a low average level which is the reason why the P6B40 didn't quite make it into the recommendations list.

Biggest desktop of the year with Linux (by ASUSTek Computer)

ASUSTek Computer CUSL2 (26 devices on board) with ROSA R7

HW: Intel Pentium III (Coppermine), 3 memory modules (3 x Module 128MB), one drive (Seagate ST380215A 80GB) and more 26 devices.

Kernel: 4.1.16-nrj-desktop-1rosa-i586

PROBE ID

QuoteOn ASUS CUSL2-C, everything also works fine and stably - the machine even falls asleep and wakes up - both to memory and to disk, swsusp2 was used as part of the archck patchset. So if there was a rake, then most likely in the bios area of specific models, IMHO chipset problems in Linux for the i815 have been resolved. Another thing is that more than 512Mb SDRAM PC133 is not installable on this chipset.

QuoteI hear that both Redhat 7 & Mandrake 7.2 have native sppt for the 815e chipset, at least, partial native sppt. I've run both Caldera 2.4 & Mandrake 7, but not with the CUSL2, cuz my Radeon gfx card does not yet have native sppt in Linux (need v4.0x of xfree86). I'll re-install a couple Linux distros once the Radeon has Linux sppt. I also think there's a problem with ATA100 support in Linux (none).

Update 06apr2001: Tried to install MandrakeFreq. No luck. Not sure if it's due to the 815e chipset. Some people at Linuxnewbie think it might be the ATA100 controller & hard drives giving me the problem. I created a primary EXT2 partition (and a Linux swap) with Partition Magic. Drake sees the partition fine, but errors when I try to format it -> An error occurred. Mount failed: No such device. 

QuoteThe CUSL2 was an awesome board as well. I had that, and got the TUSL2-C later when I started reading about the Tualatin Celerons with the 256K cache getting 50% overclocks. I came close on mine. Let's just say I had some pretty pissed friends that I was beating their P4 and Tbird setsups with a Celeron.

QuoteIf the market doesn't care much about the platform, then why should ASUS spend much time in tweaking the design of an 815 B-step motherboard? The TUSL2-C, as the name implies, is a direct descendent of ASUS' CUSL2 – their first i815 motherboard. The TUSL2-C is virtually identical to the CUSL2 with the exception that it uses a B-step version of the 815EP Memory Controller Hub (MCH) meaning that it has no integrated graphics.

QuoteThe reason I want to go with the i815E (Intel D815EEAAL or Asus CUSL2) is because of UltraATA100, fast boot, and because it will fit nicely in a one-space rack.

QuoteUse the CUSL2 but onboard video is useless in Linux. Best I could get was 320x160 or something silly like that. However, everything in Linux works great on my CUSL2 and if you want to ever overclock the cpu - the CUSL2 is wonderful!

QuoteI have a system with an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and a Pentium III CPU. The problem is that the onboard ATA100 controller is not recognized by the 2.2.x kernels (2.2.17 is what I am currently using), and my ATA100 HD is running in PIO mode, not even DMA mode.

Biggest desktop of the year with Linux (by Hewlett-Packard)

Hewlett-Packard Vectra (25 devices on board) with Ubuntu 18.04

HW: Intel Pentium III (Coppermine), memory module(s) 0.48GB DIMM, 2 drives (ExcelStor Technology J8080 82GB, WDC WD800BB-00JHA0 80GB) and more 25 devices.

Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic

PROBE ID

QuoteIn 2009, all I had were old PCs with PIII processors. The best performance on these old beasts, using GNU/Linux distros installed onto hard drives, was had at that time from: PCLinuxOS LXDE, AntiX Base (now, antiX-13.1_386-base.iso).

The former used the Light X-windows Desktop Environment, while the latter has no DE -- just a choice of Windows Managers; hence, the better performance on low-resource PCs.

With a Base install of AntiX, the apps are up to you. It comes with only the basics, including a browser. SMXI is a script that allows easy post-install tweaking in Debian-based distros. Check it out!

QuoteChoice of operating systems: 
  • Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
  • Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
  • Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
  • Linux Mandrake 8.0
  • Windows XP Ready PC - Built on Microsoft Windows 2000 and ready for Windows XP

Linux Enabled:
  • Certified by Linuxcare
  • Caldera, Mandrake, RedHat, SuSE, TurboLinux

Biggest desktop of the year with Linux (by Intel)

Intel D815EEA AAA45884-401 (23 devices on board) with Devuan 2.1

HW: Intel Celeron (Coppermine), 3 memory modules (Module 128MB, Module 256MB, Module 64MB), one drive (Maxtor 6E040L0 41GB) and more 23 devices.

Kernel: 4.9.0-14-686

PROBE ID

Smallest desktop of the year with Linux (by ASUSTek Computer)

ASUSTek Computer P3V4X (19 devices on board) with Debian

HW: Intel Pentium III (Coppermine), 4 memory modules (Module 128MB, 3 x Module 512MB), 2 drives (Maxtor 4R120L0 128GB, Maxtor 85400D5 5GB) and more 19 devices.

Kernel: 5.9.0-2-686-pae

PROBE ID

Comments: 0 *

You don't have permission to comment, or comments have been turned off for this article.