HP 8440p: https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=7d09386126

The HP 8440p is outfitted with a modem:an RJ11 port sits next to the ethernet RJ45 port.  As it was a high end device in its day, I believe it is a fax modem.   The goal is to run efax-gtk on 20.04.

Does hw-probe identify the modem? fax modem?   What is the keyword to search the probe results?  Any guidance is appreciated: thank you

The modem should be listed if it's installed and supported by the kernel, but please double-check by:

hwinfo --modem
May be the modem module just not installed on the board or not recognized by the kernel? You can quickly check this by disassembling your laptop.

From official docs for HP 8440p we can find that the model of this module should be "HP 510099-001 - Modem module (MDC 1.5, Guzzi)".

I have some modem module in my collection, but it's just not recognized then attaching it to a proper slot in my laptop. AFAIK support for 56K modems is not perfect in Linux because they almost gone before Linux became popular and started to support wide range of hardware.

Probably this is your device and likely needed driver not included to the kernel. You have two options: 1) find a driver and try to compile it for your system or 2) replace the module with 100% supported by the recent kernel (if your BIOS has no a whitelist for the modem).